As a part of Global Change leaders , the main thing that we had to do daily almost to reflect over our leadership previous and now and my definition over leadership and my experience as apart of GCL. My previous leadership is about my previous work experience but then when i worked in Anafora in 2006 a lot thing has change in my life and here i am now in GCL in Coady and it has inspire me a lot on the individual level and the professional level.
so really it id a delight journey …and still on … 🙂
- I start my career in the 2003 -2006 as a french teacher so from 2003 -2005 i worked in el Abbasya el Banet School it is a public high school for girls so i worked as french teacher for them i was not that older than them i was only 19 years old and i learned to be their friend to they will listen to me specially for them the French language was not the preferable language or class so i have to make it interesting for them.
- 2005-2006 I Finished a diploma in Center cultural francaise in Mounira from the University of IUFP in France in Pedagogy and French Language skills and so i worked during that time in Carmelite Shubra school as also French teacher and it is well known in Egypt that we have a lot school for girls only and boys only so it was also a girls school i teach the grade 7 , they were like my little sisters and i loved them so much , it was a good experience specially to practice the new technicians and tools that i learned to teach them French through technology , painting , Games and Media so it was a very rich experience for me .
- Following that i got a chance to work in Youth magazine called How we Heya and i had so much fun in the magazine because i learned a lot of things concern life and communication and management and it was only from June 2006 till December 2006 and so because of Financial struggle in the office so they decided to close it and use the money in other development projects in Egypt .
- during my time in How we heya , i have introduce to a lot of donors and a lot of media community in the national level and international level because we were an electronic magazine.
- 2006 -till now i worked in Anafora Center NGO in Cairo
- Responsible of the office of the Director of NGO as administrative work and his secretary .
- Monitoring the administrative work of the organization.
- been the coordinator of the program of Advocacy and Human Rights in Egypt and been introduce to the community work in addition of the some of the logistics and administrative work.
- Involve in Partnership and multi-stack holders in the Grass-routes level to the global level.
- since 2007 till now and i growing as Anafora is growing so i start to arrange for meetings and welcoming and partnership meeting or networking kind of meetings plus meeting with trainers or other institute. therefore i start to organize for some of the events , conferences or courses. I am in charge of design for the program from A -Z with he trainers and the community , our target group then i start to be involve in both experience with communities needs and ” Lifting -up ” the mind because Poverty is not the poverty of money or as Maslow’s hierarchy of needs but the Poverty in Mind and that it is the much we work on it of course i meet i big challenge in Following up in different part in Egypt because our participants they are from everywhere but it is good that we are starting our social media development so we can keep in touch with everyone.
During 2006 11 and 12 , i have traveled to Sweden to learn about management and Folk-high Skola Concept and this was when i start at Anafora so we can start our institute and it inspired by the Adult education philosophy and how it is important to have another chance for people that has a lot of potential and talents and even they do not recognize it. therefore i went with a team of 4 of us to study there and stay in 2 folk-high skola and to meet with some partner in Sweden and it was my first start in the development field i was a teacher yes and this is a part of development but unknown or unrecognized in my country at least it is as consequence to be educated if you are wealthy and if you can not fortune to be well educated it is life .
2007-2008 I Worked on a Documentation with cooperates with International Organization and Anafora that works on Human Rights , Harassment of Women and discrimination against minorities .
in 2008 also i was invited to Sweden and Norway to some conferences and public speaking on Anafora and our vision and Advocacy for Egypt and Human Rights work and the programs that we have it was also with a team and Bishop Thomas Bishop Of Qoussia and Mair , Assuit , Upper Egypt and Anafora Center.
8-2010Travelling to Germany having work in a small community in Leipzig and have training in an NGO for social work that help immigrated & Refugees people to set up and integrate in the community through workshops for women , helping them with Legal assisting , finding accommodation and youth integrating in the German society and complete their study or find a job.
work with Anafora on some of international Partnerships and been involve to organize their events and courses in Anafora with a French University and been invite by them to attend of their workshop in Qatar Doha in 2010 in Facilitation and Design skills
I have worked a lot to organize and been a part of a lot of Workshop and a Training in Leadership “Leadership and Democracy, Leadership and values and Morales, Leadership and development “By Dr. Magdy Sanady from UNICEF and team of facilitators in Anafora.
- Therefore i was also involve in a lot of the work focus on Peacebuilding , Dialogue and Conflict resolution, So i have been a part in Workshop with “the Center Arab West Understanding & the Center for Intercultural Dialogue and Translation “in the inter-dialogue & Peace-building between Christians & Muslims in the Egyptian Society AND the Nigerian Experience of : Imam & the Pastor and it has been an opportunity for me to network with other organization that work in peacebuilding and conflict resolution in Egypt and also that we are working in Anafora to make a place where we can teach kids through painting , poetry and hand Craft ..etc about peacemaking , leadership and cooperation.
- in 2009 i have started to organize weeding from A-Z and i had now a good experience what should be done and even through this experience we start an enterprise for the women program we had agree with some owner for weeding dresses and start an atelier in Upper Egypt so this enterprise support the program financial it dos not do much but do something.
- For my volunteer experience i have been in service to the Coptic Christian community in Urban and Rural areas since 2001 till 2009 with teaching Children from Grade 3 till Grade 7 and this is well known with Sunday school and with documentation of the database and coordinator of visiting the people in the community .
- we also have playing a big part in the Revolution and rising the public awareness through Civic Education and Advocacy workshops and courses and invite people in different part of decision making in addition of Art of Hosting to group form different ethics background and invite them to spend time in workshop and invite trainers from Greece and the state and others from Egypt to facilitate this event.
- Finally the International Center for Women Leadership is launching a program for Global women Leader and i am involve in this program of postgraduate studies in Leadership and following this i am in Diploma for postgraduate studies in Development in Coady International institute.
What is Leadership?
As Academic definition :
– According to Dr.Emily Sikazwe Leadership is perceived on the one hand to be a process in which individuals or groups work together for common good. on the other hand , it can be considered as a process that people with a shared vision use to achieve a common goal.
–Leadership is a spirit of lifting up as i learned from Bishop Thomas that it is a hand from under to lift people up and empower them.Empowerment is a part of leadership because as leader, empowerment is a process aimed at changing the nature and direction of systemic forces that marginalize women and other disadvantages sectors in a given context.
– Leadership also according to Horner’s (1997) review of the development of leadership theory , she concludes that the most theory looks at leadership as a process in which leaders are not seen as individuals in charge of followers , but as members of the community of practice. Leadership can also be define as a collective relational phenomenon.
My Definition of Leadership :
As always my friend Rotina was saying , we did not know that we are leader or see ourselves as leader. I did always what i suppose to do from duties from responsibilities without trying to analysis who am I? or why am I doing this? I was thinking always that i do it because i am qualify to do it and i know how to do it and i can train youth and team to do with me and the most important i love to do help people and been useful and
Leadership for me with shaped in the Image of Bishop Thomas the Founder and the Director of my Organization Anafora Center.
I saw him always as a visionary ,Dreamer, a Man that has the passion of lifting- up others , a leader with a very strong values and principals. In My Chance in Global change Leaders in Coady international institute i have learn more and get more about leadership, Leadership also about carrying , communicating , listening , patient , Wisdom and a lot of other things that it is in you but you do not discover until you go depth in yourself and it a journey of discovering.
” Now in May 2012″ I see Leadership : it is a spirit and initiative and the definition of Wisdom it is a passion + intelligence so Leadership is translate trough your vision and your mission in life and your action in life and that why it has been for me to go trough all my life with a flash back with zoom on the events that i was in decision making and to go back to y values and principals with focus on my vision and my mission in life .
Vision = passion , idea and Wisdom Wisdom = Passion + Intelligence
A Big Question was heating my head during this journey of discovering about our leadership style
– Good leaders are made not born. If you have the desire and willpower, you can become an effective leader. Good leaders develop through a never ending process of self-study, education, training, and experience (Jago, 1982).
– Leaders carry out this process by applying their leadership knowledge and skills. This is called Process Leadership (Jago, 1982). However, we know that we have traits that can influence our actions. This is called Trait Leadership (Jago, 1982), in that it was once common to believe that leaders were born rather than made. These two leadership types are shown in the chart below (Northouse, 2007, p5):
While leadership is learned, the skills and knowledge processed by the leader can be influenced by his or hers attributes or traits, such as beliefs, values, ethics, and character. Knowledge and skills contribute directly to the process of leadership, while the other attributes give the leader certain characteristics that make him or her unique.
Knowledge , what is knowledge always Bishop Thomas was teaching me that knowledge is the marriage between the information and the soul so it will be a daily-life attitude a philosophy that you practice in your life and start by yourself and i found this article about how Build capacities and that we will be the resource or the economy of any country however it depend on the individual choice to go for his growth and development or not …..
In sum, says Schleicher, “knowledge and skills have become the global currency of 21st-century economies, but there is no central bank that prints this currency. Everyone has to decide on their own how much they will print.” Sure, it’s great to have oil, gas and diamonds; they can buy jobs. But they’ll weaken your society in the long run unless they’re used to build schools and a culture of lifelong learning. “The thing that will keep you moving forward,” says Schleicher, is always “what you bring to the table yourself.”
Skills, knowledge, and attributes make the Leader, which is one of the: Four Factors of Leadership
There are four major factors in leadership (U.S. Army, 1983):
You must have an honest understanding of who you are, what you know, and what you can do. Also, note that it is the followers, not the leader or someone else who determines if the leader is successful. If they do not trust or lack confidence in their leader, then they will be uninspired. To be successful you have to convince your followers, not yourself or your superiors, that you are worthy of being followed.
Different people require different styles of leadership. For example, a new hire requires more supervision than an experienced employee. A person who lacks motivation requires a different approach than one with a high degree of motivation. You must know your people! The fundamental starting point is having a good understanding of human nature, such as needs, emotions, and motivation. You must come to know your employees’ be, know, and do attributes.
P.S : I do not like using the word Followers but colleagues or either participants it is more equality than followers
You lead through two-way communication. Much of it is nonverbal. For instance, when you “set the example,” that communicates to your people that you would not ask them to perform anything that you would not be willing to do. What and how you communicate either builds or harms the relationship between you and your employees.
All situations are different. What you do in one situation will not always work in another. You must use your judgment to decide the best course of action and the leadership style needed for each situation. For example, you may need to confront an employee for inappropriate behavior, but if the confrontation is too late or too early, too harsh or too weak, then the results may prove ineffective.
Also note that the situation normally has a greater effect on a leader’s action than his or her traits. This is because while traits may have an impressive stability over a period of time, they have little consistency across situations (Mischel, 1968). This is why a number of leadership scholars think the Process Theory of Leadership is a more accurate than the Trait Theory of Leadership.
Various forces will affect these four factors. Examples of forces are your relationship with your seniors, the skill of your followers, the informal leaders within your organization, and how your organization is organized.
And in this part I will add Olga words it is wisdom , for me Wisdom is something can not be part for you as Human Been and as a Leader , you need this wisdom in everything almost in Advocacy in Communication , in negotiation and even in your shopping
Olga told us Intelligence without Passion is nothing and this Wisdom to have the passion and also to have the intelligence and both of them can be develop through knowledge and mentoring.
For me Leadership is simply
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the
most credentials, the most money…or the most awards.
They simply are the ones who care the most.
~ Charles Shulz (writer of Peanut comic).
GCL has made a big difference in my life , it has give me the time to reflect on my life and
Letting go of the past
And glad I have another chance
And my heart will dance
‘Cause I don’t have to read that page again..
Being free, trusting You totally
Finally I can imagine me!!
But also it has empower me with knowledge that will help in my path and with Self-confidence through relationship and friendship not only that but also welcoming and understanding.:) and i translate that in Communication , Always My Grand-Father was saying Tongue= Person or human been and he has seen that person is communication and it is about always respect and understanding and for me leader is Listening and i saw 2 leaders in practice of their communication skills Bishop Thomas and Dr. John Gaventra because A leader is about Open door and listening . They always involve everyone in the team with decision making and that raise the feeling of Belonging and it is a feeling that Humans need. It is always about carrying and respect.
GCL has been a study of Hope because Leadership is about hope , Conflict resolution , Peacemaking , negotiations and another interesting thing “So when you have an important decision to make, check in with how you feel, not how you think” and this is emotional intelligence and social intelligence so before any decision you take look around you and in you and see what is not working and how you will make work and my this emotions you find the why ? and than the how like Apple the vision start by the inside and then the outside.
The most big thing it has change my life the power of the word and how it effect on the power of the will when you hear a word that make your spirit higher and higher and as the women leaders in Ottawa were saying “go to the Top” and ” dream high ” but also it is about your word if you believe you will get and for this i also like admire what Liesl one of the Global change leader did , she has write her wishes for the 2 months placements and because she write , she has the power to did it and achieve her goals and there were no more as wishes but as plan for her time . GCL has made even learn from each other , been a group of friends and sisters and support each other , share experience and be always there for one another but not only that but also to be called by GLOBAL CHANGE LEADER .it make me see how i can achieve anything i want.
Trust and Love 2 big words but carry a lot of meanings and when i see our Photo together i see how we can build in the communities even with diversity and a lot of difference an environment of trust and love that carry respect and understanding through communication and this what will lead me to Adult education philosophy of opening up and feel free also to have a free space full of respect and a space to participate and learn through sharing , trying and seeing new things and learn how to do it things with different ways.
At the end of the day I am happy to be me, I may not be perfect but I am honest, loving and Happy.I don’t try to be what I am not and I don’t try to impress anyone.
I am ME 🙂 and i have learnt this lesson that i have to accept me first and then open to the world.
Coady has teach another lesson to go depth to analysis anything and see what is going on i have to tart by the life and then what is the challenges , the enabling factories. What is my leadership or initiative in this thing ? then what impact i will do ?
I have been introduce to a very good test to know your personality , many of the most famous successful leaders in the world have worked talents and skills and trough a small test i have know a big thing about me
My Result :
You Are 50% Extrovert, 50% Introvert
You’re a bit outgoing but also a bit reserved
Like most people, you enjoy being social
But you also value the time you have alone
You have struck a good balance!
Talkit out has effect my life our final week in Coady and as GCL , we had to talkit out our vision , this week was focusing on communication skills . Really it has change my life , i feel i am different , i am happy to go out and speak . During my experience tp say out it is not about the word but really my heart was flying of happiness that i am changing and i can inspire others young women that they are not feeling their leadership or thei impact over their family , society or country and how they have the power to make an intiative and a decision for a positive change in their life and communities.
Overall GCL has make me know the path and how to walk to implement change there is say : when you know why so the How is yes. and i believe that i was in the right place in the right time .
So Thank you everyone Linda , Pauline , Cindy everyone in Women international center for leadership and Coady . and it is just a beginning 🙂 of the journey .
May 21th 2012 , to know who you are ? is not easy answer because in the journey you grow and you change but it is all about memories and the power within you to jump to remember and go back to your vision and see it and reflect on it .
Relationships and Globalization has always fascinating me of the power of the connection of the human together and how much they can achieve with this relations and to develop that for the better of the world and i like with Boody our coach said today ” I see the prime minsters ” it is relations and believe ” Faith in yourself and in the others therefore to work together and develop our talents through experience.
To be a Positive deviance to the Global
Now after the program of leadership with coady and each one of the GCL wnet back to her path and i ma waiting for the next step with the diploma of leadership and i was watching yesterday “Blind Dating” a movie and the main part that i related to my life we do not see with our eyes but with our mind and even the feeling with our mind and it makes me thinking about the power within and how much we have power to make decision and to see the strengthen within ourselves and how we can develop our talents and our selves and see life with different ways.
Some Wisdom say:
– Leave the rest to God. Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass.
It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
Choose this day to not simply be alive but to LIVE.”
– Whatever you are, be a good one.–Abraham Lincoln
– Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.—John Lennon
all of this present my philosophy about timing and that everything will happen in the right time and life is simple that you enjoy lived not all the time run after things will happen or you could learn to do it with different way so it is just take a depth breath , feel it and live …enjoying it . 🙂
and this Animation movie has presented this ideas simply form a spiritual way but it is very riches with ideas.
June 26.2012 Long time , i did not write the update of my journey and i have been passing by a lot of decision making in my personal level and professional level and i am not sure if i make the right ones but i have seen the hardiest of making decision and how it effect on you and how when you are confuse and power of your mind and how to keep yourself on the values and principals and when people around you see that you have to make the decision now and when you need time and need power because you fell weak.
other thing even when you are surround it by people but you feel alone and to see that you have even forget to love yourself and still keep going crashing yourself in the walls and in mud as My friend sophia said because you have forget the healing of live in your life and what happen will happen it is just need time to discover more and to learn more.
and it is about patient and passion so do not lose hope and be faithful and so now when i am feeling extremely weak i remember Dr. Linda Jones words just take your time and move on and even i do not know where i will move on but i am trying to keep my faith that will empower to lead me to this point.
Another experience about humanity respect and the importance of leader to pay attention and care about people feeling not only this growth because this what is matter at the end of the day it is the others and to keep everyone involve and to let it go , it follows
Hope and Joy i feel it is connected and result of love and so what means love and what si the right way of love ? is love something that we learn or it is something that create us with and we develop it ?
need my time to answer that ……
It’s time to let people know the real you. Be who you are, not who you think people want you to be. You are more beautiful on the inside than you realize, and you need to share that beauty with others. Be transparent, let your guard down, let people know the real you.
Good advice but how ? i think the answer is to be simple and peaceful …….. i do not know 🙂
Kindness and a good heart are the foundation for success in this life, progress on the spiritual path, and the fulfillment of our aspirations. Our need for them is not limited to any specific time, place, society, or culture. –Dalai Lama like like like …… it is faith who helped us to go in the path of our life and it give you the power to survive in front of the challenges of life
Blind Leaders , What is that mean ? it means leaders that care about the surface , the outside and not the inside and sometimes there is a bomb or talents hide it under surface . so what should be done the main thing or what is mean leader is not to be a person that kind and carrying , keep update and lift up and not put barriers over the people but put them in challenges that let them discover themselves and transform their talents for the growth of them.
there is many blind leaders even when they ignore the small talents because with small talents we had great role models like Mother Teresa what was her talents carrying , loving people and remember the forgotten people. Daila Lama with his silence and meditation he has been Enlighten to communicate , love and forgive . and many others known and unknown and let us discover the Diamond in the mud that they are around us and we can not see them. but also discover the bomb that under our sit and because we are a busy personality we do not know what is it and i see probably i am wrong but to be the own that live and lead this environment sometime you have to go away and clear your mind and see it from the top and let the community or the people with another one that can make them see what they are needed and create an new system and solve their problem myself.
July 4th 2012 reading and discovering about the website of developmentprogress.org and about the research of them about progress and the first item in Progress and development it is Leaders or Leadership
Smart Leadership: Leaders at all levels of society can use their position of power and influence to enable and accelerate progress when they are working within and supported by a conducive institutional environment.
Smart Policies: At the heart of most progress stories lies a turnaround in government policies, particularly in relation to managing the economy, providing critical public services and protecting the vulnerable and the environment.
Smart Institutions: Experiences in many developing countries have demonstrated that the quality and capacity of domestic institutions have marked impacts on development trajectories.
Smart Friends: Relationships between donors and developing countries have changed dramatically in recent years. In the process, genuine partnerships have emerged between national governments and donors.
It is fascinating how much leadership can do , it making policies and decision making , focus on the growth of the mind , the health and the soul of the human resources in addition of relationships.
As Bishop Thomas always say it is a hand from underneath to lift people up
Affection and a calm mind are important to us. A calm mind is good for our physical health, but it also enables us to use our intelligence properly and to see things more realistically. Affection too is important because it counters anger, hatred and suspicion that can prevent our minds from functioning clearly. –Dalai Lama
Story of Ester and the big question for the human nature ? why am i here or created ?
the purpose ?????/??????
for me this journey was not only a journey of engliten but also of healing in our life sometime you has been traumatize or old harm still mark in your heart and mind ” Sub-conscious ” even if you do not remember it but the fact that you are who you are now ? and the translation of your action translate it even of you do not know why you are feeling so or what happen ?
What i see , is that life is to shcrort . forgive even yourself and trust yourself so you will trust others and do not firm yourself in a box that will kill you one day.
the purpose i see for my life to spread the good news of love , care , Growth , enlighten and healing. Allowing this to happen through working on myself and knowing when i am weak-less then i am stronger and i know that a small grain can make a different in any balance therefore my vision , my heart and my mission is to work for people and with them.
Moving for a step to go to another step and there is challenges and you pass my crisis , as i am working for going for the diploma with Coady international institute . i met a lot of challenges but the main thing that i am passing all this challenge but i start to think How a leader or woman or a person should deal with crisis and why we called crisis.
let me start by why we called crisis because it is too much for us could be , could be because we did not expected or it is a wrong time or a difficult time in our life busy or losing or mostly because we feel we are alone sometime even we push ourselves into crisis because we feel we are alone , people do not understand us or family do not understand what we are going through.
Therefore Today , i had the biggest lesson of my life , to be free and to remain your freedom from any crisis or conflict not react but respond .It means not feel sorry or even anger but you know what keep silence for a moment and feel that you have a power within you could be your believe or your memory or your success before and hear this voice in your heart .
- this solitude you are never alone even when you are , you are not , you have a purpose in life and this is much bigger than any crisis or challenges.
- secondly , take a meditation time , go ahead not think about the crisis anymore but just clear you mind and your feeling from any pain and you will find the answer inside you. I know some people will say this is not practical but believe you do not need hours but just few moments and even this crisis has been strong and did not finish as soon as you were hoping but at least you have the power to pass it.
- Finally , Praying , It gives us an opportunity to get this power of spirituality and hope , it helps us to recover our soul from the pain and the sorrow that we pass by it
End of this just ask yourself what is annoys me , from what am i afraid or what scares me ? and you will find what is your purpose or what is your goals in your life ……
Amazing Race :
I was in a friend Gathering and we were in a beautiful place and so we start to talk about the amazing race or Grace of life ? and so we define the word Race and it is the rhythmic of life ” North-america “; but i see it , it is now a Global rhythm .
and so some of us did not like the word race but Struggles and challenges but the main thing is how we take this challenges and struggles ? and how do we deal with it ?
Then I start to think , this is an individual leadership , how do you see things and value it , then how do you respond or act ? It also include the decisions that you make it everyday.
In our daily life , we face a lot of things happiness and sadness , Shocks and nice surprises , Busy and Free …. But the main thing of all of this how do you feel about it ?
My Journey here has me ask myself what is the mean of Freedom ?
It is a big word and full of meaning of peace , rights , justice , Offering , love , respect ……etc
But still i do not know the full meaning of freedom , how to feel this beauty of freedom and i know at that point i will know that i am not anymore in this Race , i am with a grace e me a meaning for this reflection
A great Team 🙂
Il Divo – Amazing Grace
Here i am again at Coady full of energy and motivation 🙂 Diploma Graduate 2012
During my time ” June and July ” in Ontario , Toronto , i had time to help senior and work a small project for Social media for a small business in Mississauga but i enjoy it my time and i have learned a lot and i have met a really good people that i will keep with me forever 🙂
as well i saw the book of Hannah Hurnard The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. Habakkuk 3:19 Hinds’ Feet on High Places is one of Hannah Hurnard’s best known and best loved books: a beautiful allegory dramatizing the yearning of God’s children to be led to new heights of love, joy, and victory. Follow Much-Afraid on her spiritual journey through difficult places with her two companions, Sorrow and Suffering. Learn how Much-Afraid overcomes her tormenting fears as she passes through many dangers and mounts at last to the High Places. There she gains a new name and returns to her valley of service, transformed by her union with the loving Shepherd. Included in this edition of Hinds’ Feet on High Places are two special sections: Hannah Hurnard’s own account of the circumstances that led her to write Hinds’ Feet, and a brief autobiography of the author’s life. and Here I see myself and the humanity who is not like this woman or person ” Much Fear ” is in each one of us in some point for different reason but how as well Sorrow and Suffering is our friends in this journey and how it helps even with a much of sorrow and suffering to Grow and to learn and to gain more Strength.
As well How much Love heal and give power and it is as seeds that has been planted in the heart of humanity and it grows as much as the person help and give it food and raise it up ❤